I know this time of year can be a sad one for many people. Maybe you have lost someone in the past year and are starting a series of firsts without them. Maybe you didn't have great and happy childhood memories at the holidays. Maybe life is and will be just plain hard right now, economically, spiritually, or relationally.
I'm having one of those 'hard day'. A blue day, if you will. Now, I could list the 10 reasons why I'm 'blue' but I don't think that would do anyone any good. So I decided to sit down and come up with 10 things I am thankful for. Maybe by the end of the list, I'll be less blue.
1. My grandmother's gingersnap cookie recipe. I have it on a 3 x 5 card in her handwriting and her vague directions (moderate over, 3-4 cups flour). I love these cookies and they make the house smell grand!
2. My son's ability to be away from me. He's driving with my parents to his great uncles today. He's so excited! Isn't missing me a bit! I'm glad the kiddo has some wings and will be making great memories.
3. My country. No matter what side of the political aisle you sit on, the United States is a great country! I love the freedom we have and that we have men and women that willingly sign up to protect this great land!
4. PBS. You know, my kids just love all the shows. I'm glad to know there is something commercial free out there that helps them learn! Mr. Roger's was the turtles favorite. The monkey is watching (interestingly enough) Curious George.
5. My health. After my recent scare, I'm blessed to be in good health!
6. My van. Yes, it's 7 years old. But I just feel grateful for having transportation, especially on a rainy evening.
7. My church. We've been going there for almost 11 years. There is so much growth going on there that you can't stand still in your faith.
8. My husband. I love that we can talk about anything. I love that he knows my friends and cares about them. I am thankful that we have learned how to hang on in the tough times so that we can enjoy the good ones (which show up in the tough times too!)
9. My daughter. She really is a little monkey and just amazes me. She is extraordinary to me! She's a good little helper and loves everyone she meets!
10. My God. That even on days like today, when I feel blue, he's still here with me. Every step of the way.
Ok, I feel better now!